Wednesday, December 6

Comfort and Joy

Devotion by: Steve O’Connor

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside still waters;
3 he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
for his name’s sake.
4Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—
they comfort me.
5You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
my whole life long.
Here is a familiar passage of Scripture needing no introduction. “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. . . .” These are calming, comforting, and peaceful words indeed.

For many, the holiday season is anything but peaceful. Preceded by Thanksgiving gatherings with family, and followed by New Year festivities, the Advent/Christmas season can become an endurance race for some. Events, such as parties at work and home, compete for limited free time with other obligations of the season: shopping for and wrapping gifts; mailing Christmas cards; buying a tree; decorating the tree and the home; planning, shopping for, and preparing meals for family and friends (to name a few). Sometimes it seems like there are always more things that need doing to prepare for Christmas than time will permit. It can be, in a word, hectic.

I felt this way most strongly six years ago. In that year, on the Thursday before the first Sunday of Advent, I had to leave my home and begin a new chapter in my life. Because I could not close on my new home until mid-December, my belongings went off to storage and I went off to live in a one room suite at a local hotel. Despite the abnormal circumstances, I was determined to make that first Christmas as normal as possible for me and my children. So while I struggled to adapt to my new existence, I also frantically rushed to and fro trying to find tree lights, ornaments and other trimmings, putting up the tree, buying and wrapping gifts, etc. It was not only hectic, but also stressful. Eventually, Christmas Eve day arrived. After enjoying dinner with the kids, we set out for church and the family service. Following a tumultuous 24 days, here at last was a chance to catch my breath. And as we sang along to Walt’s beautiful music the words of the familiar carols, I began to feel that sense of peace which is so wonderfully expressed through the psalmist’s words.

Thankfully, since that “first” Christmas six years ago the Advent season has not been quite so hectic for me. But when the stress of uncompleted holiday tasks begins to rise, I try to focus on that peaceful that comes with remembering what the Advent season is all about.

Prayer: Gracious God: lead us beside quiet waters during this Advent season. Bless us with your Spirit, and keep us mindful that the comfort and joy of Christmas does not originate within ourselves. It is your gift to us. Amen.

No comments: