Thursday, December 14

Re-Joy-ce

Devotion by: Michelle Hawkins

Psalm 145
1I will extol you, my God and King,
and bless your name for ever and ever.
9The Lord is good to all,
and his compassion is over all that he has made.
10All your works shall give thanks to you, O Lord,
and all your faithful shall bless you.
11They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom,
and tell of your power,
12to make known to all people your mighty deeds,
and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
13Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
and your dominion endures throughout all generations.
The Lord is faithful in all his words,
and gracious in all his deeds.


What a difference a year makes!. If you had told me a year ago that I would be going to a new church, reading my first bible, going to a weekly bible study, and teaching Sunday School, I would have thought you were crazy! Yet here I am, looking at how much my life has changed in the last nine months. Last year I would have told you I had a better chance of winning the lottery than being so involved in a new church. In my opinion, I have won the lottery. God has changed my life in so many ways.

I had surgery a couple of months ago and witnessed the compassion of God’s people firsthand. The members of my new church showed our family such support in so many ways. Each said it was a privilege to be able to help, because as God’s people we support each other. During this time, I knew God was working in my life. He was showing his compassion and love through His people. I learned very quickly I had to accept the help, and be grateful.

We’ve all been told God loves us. But have I really thought about that? I love my children so incredibly much, but God loves them even more. I teach my children to have good manners and to say “please” and “thank you.” Do I tell them as often to be thankful to God for all he has given us? For my children, they noticed the support we received and my oldest son said repeatedly how nice it was that so many people from our new church helped us. What a wonderful way for them to see God’s love for us!

During this season of giving, it is important for us to remember to give to others in need. To show others God’s love for us through our lives and our deeds. It’s through our actions as Christians that we show others how faithful God is to all of us He has made.


Prayer:
Gracious God, thank you for working in my life. During the times I have struggled, I knew you wouldn’t send me more than I could handle. And when it did get to be too much, you sent your people to help me. Thank you for showing me your love through my new church family. I know you are with me in times of sickness and in health. I thank you for being so faithful and loving. Amen.

No comments: