Tuesday, April 10

Easter People Proclaiming God’s Glory in Cyber Space

Devotion by: Gil Miller

John 20:19-22


19When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you.’ 20After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.’


Matthew 18:20


'For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.’

Here are some final last thoughts as we close the 2007 edition of the Christ the King Lutheran Lenten Devotions.

Nature proclaims the glory of God in so many ways. As Easter and dogwood blooms many times arrive together during April in Northern Virginia, the dogwood has become my favorite reminder of the Christ’s gift of grace to all of us. The legend of the dogwood was first told to me as a boy by my mother and then was enhanced for me last year by Pastor Gysan.

The poetic version of this legend goes like this:

In Jesus' time, the dogwood grew
To a stately size and a lovely hue.
'Twas strong & firm it's branches interwoven
For the cross of Christ its timbers were chosen.
Seeing the distress at this use of their wood
Christ made a promise which still holds good:
"Never again shall the dogwood grow
Large enough to be used so
Slender & twisted, it shall be
With blossoms like the cross for all to see.
As blood stains the petals marked in brown
The blossom's center wears a thorny crown.
All who see it will remember me
Crucified on a cross from the dogwood tree.
Cherished and protected this tree shall be
A reminder to all of my agony."

Just as Christ overcame death on the cross, so does the dogwood overcome the winter to proclaim the wonder and glory of the Lord. And, just as the dogwood tree proclaims His wonder and glory, so have the Lenten devotions published since Ash Wednesday. And responding to Christ’s direction – “as the Father has sent me, so I send you” – we go forth into cyber space proclaiming the His glory.

As you read this page, recognize that you are part of a community of fellow believers:

>1,010 unique individuals who have visited the Lenten devotions blog site from 50 US cities and 24 international cities on 4 continents
>57 subscribers who receive devotions via an email message each morning
>the many members of the extended Christ the King Lutheran family who read in printed form

And since Christ told us – “where two or three are gathered in my name, I will be there” – we know that he is among this truly unique community separated not only by space, but also time. Just as the Advent devotions were read not only in December, but also in February, our Lenten devotions will be read for months to come. And as Christ is working among and through this community, his message of grace, love, and healing is making a difference in people’s lives. Consider these comments posted at the Lenten devotions blog site:

>"Thank you! These wonderful devotions are just what I needed. The every changing earthly body wreaks havoc with my contemplative prayer routine. Appreciate you thinking about me and for sending this blessing as well."
>Boy, today's posting surely hit home with me!! I have enjoyed reading them each day, but somehow this one spoke eloquently to me. Thanks."
>"This has been an especially difficult time for us with our congregation going through turmoil so your messages have meant so very much and I have forwarded them on to other members of our congregation. "

PRAYER: Father, as we close the 2007 Lenten Devotion, we again give thanks for the gift of your Son. As you sent your Son, help us in this community of believers to remember that He sends us, like the dogwood blooms, to proclaim your glory in the world. Amen.

No comments: