Tuesday, February 5

Welcome: Grab Your Bible and Some Cookies

by: Liz Spoto

As I pondered how I might introduce this year’s inspiring Lenten Devotional, I turned to two things. First, (while I hate to admit it) I had a cookie. Second, (and shamefully in that order!) I opened my Bible. God must have felt my lack for words, because I opened immediately to Romans 1, verses 11-12, where Paul writes: “I long to see you that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong – that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.” Now if that doesn’t sum up the pure intention of this Lenten Devotional, I don’t know what does!

This year, for the first time, I had the privilege of being the first to read each of these thoughtfully submitted devotions. I came away from the experience with a whole array of feelings – inspiration, appreciation, warmth, and, most of all, encouragement. I felt so wonderfully strengthened to be surrounded by a congregation of such open, sharing Christians. Christians who don’t hesitate to tell their stories of God’s amazing presence in their lives. From God’s voice helping them to avert a could-have-been fatal car accident, to a family who gave up the “traditional” customs of Christmas to instead volunteer in a soup kitchen, I felt truly blessed to have shared in these 47 meditations of faith.

In just a short while, you’ll be receiving daily e-mails with these Lenten Devotions, humbly submitted by the members of Christ the King Lutheran Church. As you journey through forty days of self-reflection and confession, to the glory and joy of Easter, I hope that these Bible verses and meditations will inspire you and guide your heart toward the pure love of Christ. May we all be encouraged and strengthened by each other’s faith, so that we may live the lives of Christian service that God has intended for us.


PRAYER: Thank you, God, for guiding me as I wrote this note. I may have otherwise eaten the entire box of cookies. Amen.

No comments: