Wednesday, March 25

Like Father

John 5:17-30

Michael Brock

Who is your role model? Maybe it is your mother or father, or a teacher or coach. Who was Jesus’ role model? In John 5 (and throughout the Bible), we see that it was absolutely God, His Father. In these verses of John, we see Jesus working on the Sabbath – healing the sick. His words and acts would lead to grave consequences with the Jewish authorities, but he remained steadfast to his role model. His words read: “My Father is always working, and I too must work…The Son can do nothing on his own; he does only what he sees his Father doing.”

My role model was my father. Dad was a high school math teacher. He had high expectations of his students -- and even higher expectations of my two brothers and me. When the rules were broken, we were held accountable. When I was about seven years old, I remember having to serve time sitting in a corner chair for two weeks. Each day I’d come home from school, and instead of going outside to play, I found my way quickly to the chair to ponder my errant ways. I don’t even remember what I did wrong that time, but I certainly remember the lesson. Thereafter, I always worked hard to meet his complete expectations. But I always knew that he loved me unconditionally, even when I didn’t meet them.

Jesus said: “I am not trying to do what I want, but only what he who sent me wants.” What a wonderful model for us to follow.

PRAYER: Dear God, thank you for all the blessings you have given to us. Thank you for giving us your Son, Jesus Christ, as a model of love. Please forgive us for not doing the good things we know we should do, and for doing the bad things we know we should not do. Please continue to guide us, guard us, and bless us. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

No comments: