Saturday, February 20

Feast


Art Evans

About three years ago, our fellow Christ the King member, Allen Wild, got me involved with Habitat For Humanity, a nonprofit, ecumenical, Christian ministry.   We were volunteering at the construction of a 12-unit condominium building, and I noticed that many of the prospective home owners had names that were African or Middle Eastern.  It was the practice of “Habitat” to put a picture and the names of the new families on the entrance to each condo.  Of course, at that time I was uncertain of the religious-affiliation of each owner.   Although I do my best to live by the words Jesus taught to us during His Sermon on the Mount, especially those written by Matthew – see Mt 5:46, I must admit I was curious why “Habitat” could not find some Christians “just like me” to support.  

Finally, it was the day of Dedication for the condominium, and each new family was presented with the keys to their new home.   I was so glad to see that in addition to a brand new home each was presented with a Bible!   Think of it; a new home and the Word of God all in one.   I knew then that the Kingdom of God is truly for everyone, and I was wrong in my perception when I first viewed those pictures on each condo entrance.  I was like the Pharisees complaining to the disciples about who Jesus was supporting by attending a banquet given at the house of a hated tax collector.  When Jesus came to Matthew’s house, he was saying to us to open our minds, eyes, and hearts to see the world the way He sees the world.   The gift of the Bible was an invitation to feast on the Bread of Life.  Jesus says, “He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty”.   It was an invitation to drink the Living Water.  Jesus says, “the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life”.    Jesus shared his love and presence with everyone, not just His friends during the feast at Matthew’s house, and it is our obligation as followers of the teachings of our Lord and Savior to do the same.  

PRAYER: Lord, help us to live by Your teachings and not just read them.  Amen

No comments: