Thursday, February 22

Praise: Day 2

Devotion by: Dave Luehring

Matthew 5:14-16

You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hidden. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.

Jesus said “You are the light of the world”, and . . . “let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your father in heaven.” What I believe Jesus is saying is that we as Christians are to be beacons for others.

One summer semester when I was in college, I felt depressed and was questioning the meaning of life. I was looking for a reason to get up in the morning, a reason to go to classes, a reason to do everything. I was in a “funk” for a couple months until one day I had a conversation with a friend of my roommate who always appeared to be extremely happy and positive. When I asked him why he was always in such a good mood, he told me that his belief in God gave him a reason to get up every morning.

As a child, I did all the normal Christian activities, including going to church with my parents every Sunday and going through the confirmation process. However, I did not experience my spiritual awakening until that encounter with my roommate’s friend. I thank God for letting his light shine before me.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, please remind us how important it is for us to be beacons for others. Remind us to let our light shine before men, that they may see our good deeds and give praise to you in heaven. Amen.

1 comment:

CTK Lutheran said...

The Christ the King Lutheran Sunday School drew the artwork that you will see with the Lenten Devotions.