Saturday, February 24

Praise: Day 4

Devotion by: Bill Carbaugh

Luke 19:37-40

As he was now approaching the path down from the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice for all the deeds of power that they had seen, saying,
‘Blessed is the king
who comes in the name of the Lord!

Peace in heaven,
and glory in the highest heaven!’

Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, ‘Teacher, order your disciples to stop.’ He answered, ‘I tell you, if these were silent, the stones would shout out.’

“The whole multitude of disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works they had seen, saying, “Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory to highest! As I sit here on Super Bowl Sunday writing this, I think how easily we praise the athletes who demonstrate physical prowess on the football field and basketball courts. With unbridled enthusiasm we proclaim, “We’re number 1” or “Go Colts” or “Da Bears are Great” or “Wahoowa”! Why is it that we find it harder to praise God? We pray to God, but do we praise God as we ought? I sing hymns of praise to God in church, but I rarely praise him outside of the Church doors. In fact, I might give a funny look to someone who shouts, “Praise be to God!” during the workweek. Do I praise God’s healing power when confronted with medical cures? Do I praise God for the many blessings I enjoy each day? Do I praise God for the blest assurance of his love and forgiveness and the promise of salvation he has given me? Okay, let’s all stand up and shout, “Jesus is #1” or “Go God” or “Hallelujah” not just on Sundays, but throughout the week.

Prayer: Dear God: I know you do not need my praise (why even the stones will cry out if your disciples remain silent), but are indeed worthy of praise. Please give me the courage to praise your name, not just on Sunday, but throughout the week. Keep me mindful of your many blessings and help me praise you as you certainly are worthy of being praised! In Jesus name we pray, Amen and Hallelujah!

No comments: