Monday, March 12

Gratitude: Day 2

Devotion by: Greta Rymal

1 Timothy 1:12-14

I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

“I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength…”(v. 12). How many times I have said similar words to God! I’ve thanked Him for the strength to persevere when times seem tough, to say “yes” when given the choice to do the right thing, or to say “no” when a temptation arises. And yet I know my life has been pretty cushy compared with the strength He must also give to a child growing up in poverty, a soldier or civilian worker facing daily danger, a parent raising a disabled child, a person facing a severe illness.

In this passage Paul goes on to say that he didn’t deserve this mercy, based on his violent and unbelieving past. “The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly”. What a blessing for that grace to still be pouring out on you and me, not because we deserve it either, but because it comes “along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus” (v. 14).

PRAYER: Christ, today I am especially thankful for your church: for those who serve You as pastors, teachers, musicians, and for all those who faithfully worship and present you with their offerings of time and riches. I gain strength from their presence as we share “the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus” Amen.

1 comment:

Gil Miller said...

Isn't it true the He gives us all that we need, even before we can think it? Isn't it equally true that He has provided us to many others in this world, to fill their needs before they ask. I am sorry that we have not followed his example; I am sure that we have not met the needs of others as He has met our needs.