Friday, March 16

Gratitude: Day 6

Devotion by: Abby Corneliussen

Mark 5:17-20

Then they began to beg Jesus to leave their neighborhood. As he was getting into the boat, the man who had been possessed by demons begged him that he might be with him. But Jesus refused, and said to him, ‘Go home to your friends, and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and what mercy he has shown you.’ And he went away and began to proclaim in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed.

In this verse Jesus tells a man who wants to follow him to go home to his family instead, tell them the story of how he was healed, and express gratitude.

This made me think of a movie I saw once, called “Pay It Forward”. A teacher gives an assignment to his class: “How can you help change the world?” One of the boys in his class came up with the idea of paying good actions forward - instead of back. If everybody expressed their gratitude by going something good for three people when something good was done to them, it would spread quickly, and make the world a better place.

I would like to express my gratitude to the Maxwell family for welcoming me into their lives. And I will pay it forward by one day hosting an exchange student myself, and give another person the same opportunity the Maxwells gave me!

PRAYER: Dear God, I hope that all my friends and family know how lucky they are to have each other. Please help them to express their gratitude by paying it forward. Amen.

No comments: