Wednesday, February 20

Be Not Afraid

Devotion by: Steve Wilson

Psalm 31:5-6, 4-16

take me out of the net that is hidden for me,
for you are my refuge.
Into your hand I commit my spirit;
you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.

You hate those who pay regard to worthless idols,
but I trust in the LORD.
I will exult and rejoice in your steadfast love,
because you have seen my affliction;
you have taken heed of my adversities,
and have not delivered me into the hand of the enemy;
you have set my feet in a broad place.

Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress;
my eye wastes away from grief,
my soul and body also.
For my life is spent with sorrow,
and my years with sighing;
my strength fails because of my misery,
and my bones waste away.

I am the scorn of all my adversaries,
a horror to my neighbours,
an object of dread to my acquaintances;
those who see me in the street flee from me.
I have passed out of mind like one who is dead;
I have become like a broken vessel.
For I hear the whispering of many—
terror all around!—
as they scheme together against me,
as they plot to take my life.

But I trust in you, O LORD;
I say, ‘You are my God.’
My times are in your hand;
deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors.
Let your face shine upon your servant;
save me in your steadfast love.

This Psalm, like all the great Psalms, appears difficult to understand, and it makes you think hard about what it means. But as you pick out some key words, it flows together and creates first, in verses 6-8, compelling images of our relationship with and our trust in God: commitment, spirit, truth, rejoice, soul, and spacious space.

Then, verses 10 thru 13 describe the tough circumstances of life -- the pain and suffering we all endure. But a great message of our faith is perseverance and hope (to quote Paul in Romans 5:1-5). Using what David calls the “spacious space” God has granted us, we continue to act, to respond, and to draw less on our own circumstances and rather think and act on behalf of others. What a great antidote to the self-pity described in verse 12, “I have become like broken pottery”, to instead keep steady in faith and follow the message of Christ to live for others.


PRAYER: Lord, we are reminded of the spacious space of life and the great freedoms you give us. Let us commit ourselves to you and then let us rejoice. Let us show our soul and “let your face shine on your servant” as we live through – and respond to – all of life’s experiences. Amen.

No comments: