Thursday, February 28

One Savior

Devotion by: Greg Durig

Luke 11:14-23

Now he was casting out a demon that was mute; when the demon had gone out, the one who had been mute spoke, and the crowds were amazed. But some of them said, ‘He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the ruler of the demons.’ Others, to test him, kept demanding from him a sign from heaven. But he knew what they were thinking and said to them, ‘Every kingdom divided against itself becomes a desert, and house falls on house. If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? —for you say that I cast out the demons by Beelzebul. Now if I cast out the demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your exorcists cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out the demons, then the kingdom of God has come to you. When a strong man, fully armed, guards his castle, his property is safe. But when one stronger than he attacks him and overpowers him, he takes away his armour in which he trusted and divides his plunder. Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

I am what you might call a “morning person”. Each new day, I wake up early from my slumbers, and I can’t wait to charge into action. I have STUFF to do. There are messages to respond to, places to go, and people to see. Even though I awaken early in the day, I almost always feel as though I’m running late and that I need to rush into action to get all my important STUFF done. My mornings and days are all clogged up with STUFF, STUFF, and more STUFF. Who has the luxury to sit down in the morning? Not me! Only when I get all my STUFF done, which never seems to happen, can I relax and feel at PEACE.

Recently, I had the opportunity to live, work, play and worship with the “Gullah People” of South Carolina and Georgia. Because these people have been isolated from mainstream American society over the years, the “Gullah” culture is one that has maintained much of its African roots and ways of life and living. They even continue to speak a unique language that mixes English with various African words and expressions.

One of the first things I learned as I lived within the Gullah community was that they are “morning people” – just like me! They don’t need an alarm clock to awaken them, and they don’t wait for their rooster to announce that day has arrived. Yes, at least in this one way, these people are just like me - but there is an important difference. Instead of immediately jumping into action to take care of their STUFF, they make time in the morning to spend time with God and ask God to rid themselves of any “demons”.

In the Gullah language, morning is called “day clean” – and the people faithfully take time each “day clean” to accept and receive the Spirit’s cleansing. It is a time when they ask and allow the Spirit to cast away their worries and demons. Only after this essential time of prayer and meditation do the people move on to other STUFF, and don’t you know, they do so in ways that convey God’s loving spirit, caring presence and incomprehensible PEACE.


PRAYER: Gracious God – Forgive me for making my STUFF my priority. Help me to make every morning a “day clean” – a time when I trustfully ask for you to cast away my demons, cleanse my heart, and know the true peace that only you can give. In Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.

No comments: