Monday, March 17

Be Patient

Devotion by: Janet Wright Simpson

Psalm 27:1-3, 13-14

Of David.
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?

When evildoers assail me
to devour my flesh—
my adversaries and foes—
they shall stumble and fall.

Though an army encamp against me,
my heart shall not fear;
though war rise up against me,
yet I will be confident.

I believe that I shall see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD;
be strong, and let your heart take courage;
wait for the LORD!


“Be patient – though you may not see the light of Easter yet, it is coming as surely as the dawn.”

In Psalm 27, verses 1-3, we are reminded that it is God from whom we draw our strength, no matter how tough life can be. Through this strength we can respond to whatever life may throw our way. In verses 13-14, we are reassured that God’s goodness is all around us. In the words, “Wait for the Lord, be strong and let your heart take courage,” we are given strength and courage to be patient, knowing that, in the end, God will guide us.

It is so easy to be impatient and take the reigns of our lives into our own hands. For example, when we are experiencing pain – whether our own or that of a loved one -- we want to hurry up and get past the hurt or rough patch. In the movie, The Ultimate Gift, a wise grandfather relays to his grandson that the learning experienced through tough times is a gift, even if pain is the teacher. How true. In my own life, I find that when I truly open my heart and listen to God, I can see the goodness through the pain, I can see the learning through the rough patch, and I can muster the courage to have patience and trust in God. It is only through faith that I can find my way through those times.


PRAYER: Dear God, help us to open our hearts to you when we are experiencing tough times. Forgive us for our willfulness and grant us the wisdom to be patient, knowing that you will guide us through the storm. Amen.

No comments: