Saturday, March 22

Easter Vigil: True Strength

Devotion by: Pastor Paul Gysan

Psalm 118:1-2, 16-23

O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his steadfast love endures for ever!

Let Israel say,
‘His steadfast love endures for ever.’
the right hand of the LORD is exalted;
the right hand of the LORD does valiantly.’
I shall not die, but I shall live,
and recount the deeds of the LORD.
The LORD has punished me severely,
but he did not give me over to death.

Open to me the gates of righteousness,
that I may enter through them
and give thanks to the LORD.

This is the gate of the LORD;
the righteous shall enter through it.

I thank you that you have answered me
and have become my salvation.
The stone that the builders rejected
has become the chief cornerstone.
This is the LORD’s doing;
it is marvelous in our eyes.

The pilgrimage of people to Easter worship throughout the world is paralleled in Psalm 118. This Psalm was sung as pilgrims went up to Jerusalem for the festival of Tabernacles. Along the way, they remembered God’s steadfast love, love that delivered them from bondage to the Egyptians. They were reminded of this victory and sang songs about it along the way (vs. 15). They recounted what God had done for them, as we recount what Jesus did on the cross for you and me (vs. 17). Coming into Jerusalem, as they went up to the temple, they gave thanks to God (vs. 18). God had defeated Pharaoh. They shouted “Hosanna,” which means “save us, we beseech you, O Lord” (vs. 25). And the words that follow, “Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord” (vs. 26), are words shouted on Palm Sunday.

As they entered the temple, branches of myrtle, willow, and palm were put on the altar to remind them of their days of wandering in the wilderness. The wandering days were over, and looking back, they knew that their “true strength” was not in themselves, but in God whose mighty arm had won for them the victory!

Read this entire Psalm, which is the center of the Bible (chapter-wise). The centering verse of the Bible is vs. 8: “It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to put confidence in princes.” Martin Luther wrote this about Psalm 118:

This is my own psalm, which I specially love. Though the entire Psalter and the Holy Scriptures are indeed very dear to me as my sole comfort and my very life, yet I have come to grips with this psalm in a special sense, so that I feel free to call it my very own. For it has done me great service on many an occasion and stood by me in many a difficulty when the emperor, kings, wise men and clever, and even the saints were of no avail . . . .” (Martin Luther, commentary on PS. 118, Luther’s Works Vol. 14, page 45 (Concordia, 1957)).

Luther knew that our “true strength” comes not from ourselves, but from God.

How does the festival of Easter help us to sustain a correct relationship with God? Easter is all about remembering and honoring God’s redemptive love for us. “The stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.” The world rejected Jesus, but nails could not hold him to a cross. His stilled body was placed in a tomb, but no stone could contain the Savior of the world. Jesus, our “true strength,” rose from the dead. Jesus has won for us the victory over sin and death! The early Christians moved the “Sabbath” to “Sunday,” the first day of the week, for each Sunday was a time to remember with thanksgiving God’s strength and our weakness. Our risen Lord daily stands with us so that we might walk in the strength of the Lord.

This is my favorite festival of the year, for Jesus is risen indeed! His daily presence in my life is my source of strength, my Savior in whom I rejoice! Daily I seek to live as an Easter person!


PRAYER: Oh God, I give thanks to you for the gift of your Son, who came to this earth to deliver me from bondage to sin and death. Through Jesus I was connected with your grace, your steadfast love, and in the body of Christ, I praise your name this day. Help me to always be an Easter person, daily finding my true strength in you. I pray this in the name of Jesus, my risen Lord and Savior. Amen.

No comments: