Friday, March 14

Proof of Presence

Devotion by: Jill & Anne Neaves

John 10:31-42

The Jews took up stones again to stone him. Jesus replied, ‘I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these are you going to stone me?’ The Jews answered, ‘It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you, but for blasphemy, because you, though only a human being, are making yourself God.’ Jesus answered, ‘Is it not written in your law, “I said, you are gods”? If those to whom the word of God came were called “gods”—and the scripture cannot be annulled— can you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, “I am God’s Son”? If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me. But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.’ Then they tried to arrest him again, but he escaped from their hands.



He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing earlier, and he remained there. Many came to him, and they were saying, ‘John performed no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.’ And many believed in him there.


Each of us is a unique being. Through God’s grace, everyone has been blessed with a gift or talent.
Recently, a friend shared an experience about a hurricane evacuation. One of her sons was coming home to her, bringing his good friend with him as they fled their homes in the storm’s path. Along with her son’s friend came fifteen others – his friend’s entire family.

Five carloads of people arrived at my friend’s home seeking refuge. Our friend was speechless. However, she opened her home to strangers and provided for them that weekend. This act made a profound impression on us.

Sharing one’s time, possessions, and talents in service to others shows the presence of God in our lives. When we go out of our way to help others, what follows is an unparalleled sense of joy, wonder, love and peace.


PRAYER: God, please sharpen our eyes and soften our hearts so we may share our gifts and talents with others. Let our actions be visible signs of Your presence and love. Amen.

No comments: