Wednesday, March 18

God's Law

Deuteronomy 4:1, 5-9

Gale Bobzien

God chose this devotional topic for me. You see, God and I have an on-going dialogue about wisdom. It started years ago when I took the Spiritual Gifts class. I wanted wisdom as one of my gifts. God had other ideas. God prevailed. He continues to remind me of this in various ways and at various times. When I bought the book, Proverbs for Teachers, which has a Proverb for each day of the year, I immediately looked up the Proverb on my birthday. I laughed when I read Proverbs 8:11. Yes, it talks about wisdom. When selecting a Lenten devotional, one of the first words that caught my eye was wisdom. I looked no further.

From these periodic reminders, I am learning to listen more to God, and I’ve needed lots of reminders. What does God want me to learn from this scripture reading? Maybe He is trying to redefine my concept of wisdom. The theme of this devotional is, “We do not reach wisdom in power, but in witness and obedience to the truth.”

In these verses in Deuteronomy, God is trying to teach the Israelites the importance of obedience as they enter the Promised Land. By obeying God’s statutes, they (and we) show wisdom and discernment. Disobedience has consequences. This is a timeless message. But God goes a step further. The importance of obedience is to be made known to our children and our children’s children. Parents and grandparents take note. We have a responsibility to future generations. Let us live our lives to be a witness to obedience and give the gift of God’s wisdom to our children and our children’s children.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, we thank you for Your gentle reminders that help us learn and grow. Teach us to hear Your voice. Help us to be still and know that You are God. Grant that we may grow in wisdom through witness and obedience to Your word. This we pray in the name of our risen Lord, Jesus the Christ. Amen.

No comments: