Tuesday, April 7

Rock of Refuge

Psalm 71:1-6, 15, 17

Joni Holeman

This is an Old Testament psalm written by David before he became Israel’s king. David never knew Jesus, but God considered David a good friend because David listened and consulted with God whenever he faced decisions. Well, almost always—David only made terrible choices when he did not ask God for help!

“Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go;

Give the command to save me,

For you are my rock and my fortress.”

The heartfelt prose in Psalm 71 has maintained its popularity for centuries.

“You have been my hope, O Sovereign Lord,

My confidence since my youth.”

Looking introspectively, I can discern a few parallels from Psalm 71 in my life. I’ve trusted God and prayed daily since childhood, even through my un-churched years from 16-42 (yep, I was one of those teen dropouts!).

“Since my youth, O God, you have taught me,

And to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.”

God and his Holy Spirit have been a fortress to me, especially since becoming a Stephen Minister. It’s the Spirit who gives me the right words to say. And if I listen carefully, I’ve learned that the Spirit will even shut my mouth when there are no right words.

It’s taken me a surprisingly long time to learn how to pray to Jesus, though. Maybe I’ve had a God-as-authority-figure neurosis going on because of those un-churched years! The wonderful Bible studies we’ve shared here at Christ the King have taught me the healing redemption of Christ. Now I know that I can trust in Jesus, my Savior, every day until eternity. Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost!

PRAYER: Father, we use David’s words in prayer: “Who, O God, is like you? Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God, You who have done great things. Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; Turn your ear to me and save me. Do not cast me away when I am old; Do not forsake me when my strength is gone.” We place our trust in your blessed Son Jesus, Amen.

No comments: