Monday, March 8

Simplicity


Patti Flowers-Jacobina

The passage in 2 Kings 5:1-15 is a story of recovery.  Healing that comes from the most unexpected, basic place....a river.  Apparently, a river of life that heals Namaan, a man of valour afflicted with leprosy.  It's hard to imagine leprosy today.  I just remember watching the Ten Commandments and Charleston Heston's relatives suffering in the leper camps and shuddering.  A horrible, ill-regarded, shame-producing disease.  

I can definitely relate to how frustrated, disappointed and outright angry Namaan must have been when the prescription for healing is to wash in the river Jordan for 7 times!  Having skin issues myself, it can be very disheartening.  I often would exhibit any allergic reaction on my face - yes, right there for everyone to see, front and center.....no, not on my back or elsewhere...but my face, of all places.  In my own minor way,  I can truly relate to Namaan.  I've washed, I've scrubbed, I've tried ointments, I did prescription, over-the-counter, homeopathic and finally, found out that what was causing my reactions was INTERNAL, not external.  

So, the healing came from changing what I ate and voila, no skin issues!  A literal lifetime of skin challenges pretty-much solved.  Now, I realize leprosy is alot worse than what I encountered but I wonder, if along with Namaan's external healing, came an internal, life-changing healing.  The type of healing that provides a daily thankfulness and assurance in what is divine and God- given.  It does sounds like Elisha's God is the One to follow (the prescription though simple, cured) which Namaan soon commits to doing for the rest of his worshipping life.

Healing cannot be just external, but a desire to change, to be more thankful and more gracious.  To live into who God truly created us to be, bumps and barnacles and all!

PRAYER: Thank you Lord, for accepting me for who I am and who, through your constant re-shaping, I am to become. 

No comments: