Monday, March 5

Ask: Day 2

Devotion by: Robert Hummel

Philippians 4:4-7

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Such beautiful poetry that Saint Paul has written: Words that have transformed the lexicon across the ages. He reminds us to trust in God, and to put our worries and fears aside, and he advises us that prayer can comfort us, much as his words, which are like a prayer themselves, provides comfort to the listener.

I was very young. I had lost a pen while playing in the playground. It was a pen that my Dad had given me. Not a standard ballpoint pen, but a fancy new kind of rollerball pen. It had been a present to inspire me to continue to get good grades and do well in school. It had probably cost 20 dollars. I was proud of it, and had lost it. And I prayed to God to help me find that pen. And I stayed after school, and returned several times to the playground, and walked back and forth, and all around, looking for that pen. And I prayed more. Please God: Let me find that pen.

I never found the pen. I wondered whether God had let me down, or if I had let God down. I told my Dad that I had lost the pen, and I was so sorry. He told me that sometimes things get lost, and he got me a new pen. I still felt guilty, but relieved. And ever since, I have always enjoyed trying different kinds of pens, and purchasing nice, but not extravagant, new kinds of pens. I remember finding a store that sold nothing but pens. I told the shopkeeper that I too had a deep interest in pens.

It took me many years to begin to understand.

PRAYER: Dear Jesus, you have blessed us with the ability to write. You have showered upon the earth writing instruments, and language, and knowledge. When I asked you to help me find that pen, I am sorry that I tested you, but I now know that I was not in need of that particular pen. What I needed, and what you provided, was the love of my father, and the comfort of our Savior, our Father in Heaven, our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You found that pen because you wrote with it in my mind of how good God is.Use it again to be a blessing to many.