Friday, March 9

Ask: Day 6

Devotion by: Donna Kiffe

Matthew 7:7-8

‘Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

In late January, my husband’s mother died after a long illness. She was in pain at the end, but could not communicate to anyone how they might help her. My brother-in-law asked me how God could allow such suffering in someone who served Him and other people so well and lived by the golden rule all her life. He didn’t expect an answer and I certainly did not have one. In fact, I have often asked “why?” when life seems unfair or unknowable to me. I ask friends for clues; I ask God for enlightenment. I have never gotten an answer that lays this question to rest. Even Jesus asked God from the cross, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” I guess we, as humans, must be resigned to suffering during our lives on earth and no one is spared. But when we ask why this is and we search for answers, we are following God’s directive that we look to Him for guidance. We must ask and pray continually, so that when we ultimately meet our end, the door will then be opened and the answers will be found. We should never give up on this quest, because what is beyond the door is the miracle of eternal life and the end to all suffering. God will be the one who opens it for us.

PRAYER: Dear God, when I ask for answers, please give me the “peace that passeth understanding,” for I know I will not truly understand until I am with you. Amen.

No comments: