Saturday, March 10

Ask: Day 7

Devotion by: Jane Cooper

Psalm 116:1-2

I love the Lord, because he has heard
my voice and my supplications.
Because he inclined his ear to me,
therefore I will call on him as long as I live.

When I was a kid, there wasn’t much benefit in asking my parents if I could do something special that was not related to church or school. My mother would say, “We’ll have to ask your father.” My father had three basic replies: #1 (his most frequent) was “No”; #2 was “I don’t care; ask your mother”; and #3 was “We’ll see.” I don’t think I ever remember him saying “Yes.”

As I have grown up, I have consciously tried to be more positive when people have asked me to do something. I don’t always say “yes,” but I don’t automatically say “no.” Sometimes I say, “Sure! That sounds like fun.” Most often I say “Let me think about it, and I’ll pray to see how God directs me.” That may seem like I’m passing the buck, but what I have learned is if God is in it, He not only gives me the inspiration, but He equips me and often sends others to assist to make the task easier and more fruitful.

Isn’t it nice that with God, you just have to ask, and then trust that He will answer your prayers in the best way possible?

PRAYER: Lord, You have shown us in countless ways that You answer our prayers. May we be thankful for all that You give to us, and gracious enough to step up when You ask, directly or through others, something from us. Amen.

No comments: