Tuesday, February 12

As Sure As Rain

Devotion by: Greta Rymal

Isaiah 55:10-11

For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
and do not return there until they have watered the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

The poetry of Isaiah 55, verses 10 – 11, is sheer beauty to me: “As the rain and snow come down from heaven … watering the earth to make it bud and flourish…so it is that my Word goes out from my mouth. It will not return empty but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” God compares His Word to nourishing rain and snow -- what a stunning metaphor.

I’ve read a lot of God’s Word these last several months, and they have not returned empty, but have brought me hope, consolation and guidance. I’m not quite to “joy” yet, but it is promised in God’s Word, so I know it will be there for me in the future. His Living Word is more than a history book; it is the unfolding of God’s love and will for us in our earthly -- and ultimately heavenly -- lives. When I have spent time reading and opening myself to His teaching, I’ve been able to learn His will and follow His direction -- in small things and in large.

Recently, I have been studying He Said “Press”: Hearing God Through Grief. Its highlighted portions of God’s Word have comforted and challenged me and connected me with others in our family. I have also benefited from CTK’s gifted Bible study leaders who have led classes and small groups where His Word -- and His Will -- are revealed in group discussion. Both the private and group settings have their strengths – time to be alone with God, as well as time to learn and experience Him with others. I find I need and have benefited greatly from both.


PRAYER: Lord, let your Word rain down on me today, so that I will be nourished and your purpose will bear fruit in me. Amen.

No comments: