Thursday, February 14

Our Rock and Refuge

Devotion by: Donna Kiffe

Matthew 7:7-12

‘Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for bread, will give a stone? Or if the child asks for a fish, will give a snake? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

‘In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.

When I agreed to write a devotional this year, I thumbed through the remaining verses and found a theme I liked: “When you are in great need of help, turn to the one who gives gladness.” I liked that theme. I came home, opened my Bible, and discovered that it was the exact verse I chose last year! At that time, though, I read it with a slightly different twist. I guess Matthew must really be speaking to me…I better listen!

Coincidentally, I just finished reading the morning paper (it is now 5 pm), and a quote caught my imagination. A woman named Anne Beiler (of Auntie Anne’s Pretzels fame) was talking about overcoming personal anguish, including the accidental death of a child and abuse by a trusted mentor. She discussed her great pain and willingness to give into it by taking her own life. Instead, she turned to God in a new way. Instead of asking why or raging about injustice, she stated: “My philosophy is: Life is hard, but God is good. Try not to confuse the two.” I liked that approach.

I don’t know anyone who has not suffered some heartache in this life. But in our darkest moments, we should turn to God…not to fix anything, but to comfort us and to allow the sun to shine on our souls again.


PRAYER: Dear Mighty Comforter, When we feel lost or are hurting and helpless, bring us to you. Open our hearts to you that we might be comforted and feel alive again. Amen.

No comments: