Thursday, February 26

Deny Yourself

Luke 9:22-25

Jerry Teitman

This is a most important text, in that it appears essentially intact in three of the Gospels. Before this study I would have interpreted the meaning as one of some small sacrifice on my part for Lent, whether that is fasting or foregoing ice cream or chocolate or some other pleasure for the 40 days of Lent. Denial of the flesh opens the spirit to hear the word of God. Reading the text now, I see multiple interpretations.

Jesus states, “whoever wishes to be my follower must deny his very self, take up his cross each day and follow in my steps. Whoever will save his life will lose it and whoever loses his life for my sake will save it”. These are words I had never contemplated in the context of the Lenten season, but now I do.

I probably will not be asked to sacrifice my life for the name of Christ, such as was the case with the early Christian church or, in a more modern sense, like Dietrich Bonhoffer did in a Nazi concentration camp. However, we are all asked to mimic Jesus and serve our neighbor. In doing so, we could be asked to put our very lives in jeopardy. There are many examples of this service, such as providing aid for victims of an ongoing disaster, responding to a call for help, or assisting those who are dying of a contagious disease.

But the figurative interpretation, that is, where we sacrifice our life to serve the lives of others, need not be life threatening. And it need not be for a lifetime, but for an hour or a day of service -- all in the name of Jesus Christ. I know that I have had and will have many opportunities to serve those in need. Will I do it?

PRAYER: Dear Lord, give me the sight to see those in need, the selflessness to respond and the wisdom to know what is required. All this I ask in your Holy Name.

No comments: