Saturday, February 28

Living Words

Isaiah 58:9-14

Linda McMillen

Reading through this passage, I see the correlation that Isaiah is making to living your life well and being rewarded. He starts by saying that God is there for us in our time of need. He then goes on to enumerate ways that we can remove evil from our lives: do not speak evil, help others in need, treat others as we would like to be treated, etc. He mentions several of the 10 commandments as a framework for how one can achieve true happiness through God's love by following his commandments. It is so easy in this day and age to get caught up in our own wants and needs and forget about those around us and what they may need.

I started thinking of what I have done recently for someone else that, as Isaiah put it, let my "light… rise in the darkness and (my) gloom be like the noonday". I participated in the Grate Patrol, where CTK members got together and made bag meals for the homeless in downtown DC. Several of us then boarded a Salvation Army van and handed out those meals to homeless men and women at various stops downtown. Many of those homeless had little but the clothes on their backs, and all were universally grateful for the food. Comparing what I have and what little they have, really made me appreciate my life. It certainly put things in proper perspective. Perhaps we all need a reality check every once in a while.

PRAYER: Lord, grant me the ability to make time every day to appreciate the beauty around us. Help me to remember to be kind to everyone and try to make someone smile every day. Amen.

No comments: