Wednesday, March 4

Rise

Luke 11:29-32

Art Evans

“Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.” Benjamin Franklin was a wise man, and I would never argue with him. And when it comes to the world we must live in each day, I do put some credibility in his words. But with the Lord’s help, I put my faith in the Living Word. It was not always so. I too was like the people of Nineveh; genuine faith came with great reluctance, and I asked for a miraculous sign to build my faith upon or maybe to simply ignite it.

One day, less than four years ago, instead of asking and doing all the talking, I decided to simply listen. I think the people of Nineveh did the same thing. They listened to Jonah and repented. No, I didn’t have a flesh and blood prophet preach to me; I had it a lot easier. I had the Bible. The Bible is the exact amount of “data” the Lord is pleased to hand us. It is the risen Christ that is the miraculous sign we seek.

The repentant people of Nineveh had so much less on which to base their faith. Who are we to ask for more? As believers, it is our sacred duty to strive to do the Lord’s will (see Mark 3:35). Of course, at some time in our lives we are all reluctant about our faith. Like they say, “we are only human.” But in the final hour, I am in His hands (see 1 John 3:19-20). Old Ben Franklin has another quote which is all too true, “You may delay, but time will not.”

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, help us rise above human frailties to glorify your name. Give us the strength to do your will in whatever form you desire. Lead us forward to an ever stronger faith. In Your name. Amen.

No comments: