Wednesday, February 24

Comfort


Steve Siebert

Psalm 51 is a one of 40 psalms of lament.  As a group, these psalms contain portrayals of personal agony repeatedly interrupted by requests for God's intercession.  In Psalm 51, the psalmist begs for release from sinfulness.  In doing so, he likens his separation from God to being physically broken (v. 8) and admits that he has never been all that God has expected.  It is from this expression of pitiful self depredation, that one of the most beautiful and succinct requests for intercession in scripture comes, starting at verse 10 ...  "create in me a clean heart O God, and put a new, right spirit in me.  Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of your salvation in me and uphold me with a willing spirit."  I find it useful to reflect not necessarily on this psalm in times of difficulty, but on the psalmist who, it the midst of dispair, is able to conjure up such great beauty with the help of God.  It reminds me that God takes everything in our lives, the good, and the bad and uses it for his own purpose. From the psalmists anguish he created such a beautiful prayer for sustainance that has survived for 2500 years, is the lyrics for a hymn of the day in the former hymnal and a prayer countless have prayed. 

Prayer:  Dear God, I pray that you will uphold me in all that I do, guiding me away from sin and death and towards life with you.  Please be steadfastly beside me when I am my weakest and know that I love you always.

No comments: