Friday, February 26

What He Asks of Us


Deb Cantrell

Understanding the words of the law can be quite different from understanding what was intended by those who wrote the law.  I have five children and I found them to quite good at using “the letter of the law” to their advantage.  I had one daughter who was, actually, quite brilliant at helping me understand the law, as it was written.  I cannot tell you how many conversations ended with the words, “I know that what I said; and you know exactly what I meant!  One conversation went something like this, “You’re right.  I did tell you to take a bath and your wet hair dripping all over my floor would tell me you did bathe.  However, we both know I intended you to use soap!”

We have a complicated legal system that spends huge amounts of time and resources trying to determine the intent of the law.  However, righteousness is more than law.  It is what is good and right and this is what God calls us to do as Christians. 

While the Pharisees were brilliant at interpreting the letter of the law in the Old Testament, Christ brought a new interpretation.  Something more is intended and expected.  Yes, God calls us to follow the letter of this world’s law by not stealing, not harming, and not lying.  We, on the other hand, are required to do more.  We are to feed, clothe and release the oppressed.  Even more, we are required to forgive.  Now there’s a tough one.

If this weren’t enough, our love of God and the love of our brother are intertwined.  So much so that he says something akin to, “Don’t come to me with your offering thinking you’re ‘all that’ after having a big ole’ argument with your brother.  Go and make up with him and then come back.”

God cares about the condition of our hearts.  What bitterness do we hide, what resentment do we conceal, what keeps us from giving ourselves completely to God.  I think God wants us to come to Him with a clean heart, clear conscience, and fully prepared to follow the intent of the law.


Prayer:  Lord, help us to come to You with a clean heart, clear conscience, and fully prepared to follow the intent of the law.

No comments: