Sunday, June 17

Confirmation Statement of GD

What does Jesus mean to me?

This is a very hard question to answer because of the simple reason that Jesus, like God, and because he is God, is too amazing of a being to put into words. He has undying and unending love and compassion for all the world, and I don’t think there is really any way to describe him using the English language except by just calling him by his name, Jesus our Savior. It is so hard for us to truly grasp what changes Jesus had to undergo to save our world. As humans, we can not understand how Jesus is 100% of our holy Lord God and yet is also 100% human. It is unimaginable what Jesus went through to save every individual on earth from eternal darkness. This is why it is so hard to try and grasp to the fullest extent what Jesus means to me.

I am going to try to show the major roles he is currently playing in my life: a teacher and friend. Jesus is always inside of me. He guides me to do what is right and helps me understand the difference between right and wrong. Whenever I veer off the path of good, or when I am going through hardships, Jesus is the hope inside the world that everything is meant to happen for a reason and will be all right. I think that James 1:2-4 puts this into the best words. “My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing.” This is a very hopeful passage that I can always look to in times of need. Like I said, Jesus is also a friend to me. I have the assurance that he is always listening and will be compassionate toward me whenever I pray to him. I know that he is always focusing his attention toward me with enough patience to last for eternity and always has and will understand why and what I pray to him about. It is very comforting to know that Jesus is such a loving Lord and Savior to all of us.

How have I grown in your faith and understanding of God’s grace these past few years?

Over the past few years, I have grown spiritually and in my knowledge of God. I’ll start with prayer because I’ve realized just how important it is in a relationship with God. I pray because I have faith, not because others do it, and not because my parents want me to do it. I pray because I believe that God will help me in times of need and I pray because I am so thankful for everything I have. Prayer keeps me focused. It helps me remember why I am here, and helps me to worship the Lord. Prayer is so special because I can pray about worries, things I am thankful for, things I need help with during the day, and things I am sorry for. Prayer is something that gets me through the day and I always remember to pray every morning before school. Praying is one of our great gifts from God, and I feel nobody should take it for granted.

These two years in Confirmation have furthered my understanding of God and the Holy Trinity. I know that God is always with us and is closer than we think. He is one with the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is inside of each and every one of us working through us every day. He left us the Bible to guide and lead us, the Ten Commandments to show us right from wrong, the Apostles Creed, the Lords Prayer, and most importantly his Son’s life to help us be able to live with the hope that we may one day join him in Heaven. One of the things I have learned about Jesus and God that has given me joy is their grace. I have realized that without grace we would be lost. It is the fact that God helps us and makes sacrifices for us without us being worthy of it that makes God so loving. If God based everything on the deeds we did, I know I would have a pretty tough life. Every day I ask the Lord to guide and help me, and I know he always will. This is how I have grown through my years in Confirmation.

Why do I wish to affirm my faith today?

Words, words, words. Up to this point, I’ve talked about Jesus and how my faith has grown into what it is today. Even though I still am not positive about how I feel about Jesus, or where my faith will lead me, I was still able to write without problem. But this question has really made me think very hard. I’ve realized that this talk does not mean much to me. I mean, I’m fine with talking, but I don’t see what it achieves. I believe that sometimes words can be false. They can deceive and can create artificial meaning. But actions - actions show a person. They help show what a person believes in.

I do not feel that by standing up here, I am achieving anything lasting and concrete. During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus talked about how to pray. He said, “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your father who is in secret; and your father who sees you in secret will reward you.” I think that that applies to many things. Standing in front of everybody and confirming my faith is productive when, by my confirming my faith, someone else is helped. Truthfully, I would rather sit in my room and confirm my faith to Jesus in private so that only he and God can hear me.

How do I intend to use my gift, talents, and abilities for the ministry of the church?

I feel that by becoming a member of the church I can help with many things. I enjoy helping the church with various activities from the Angel Tree Project every year to when the church makes baloney sandwiches for the needy. I will continue my role in the bell choir, and will try to further the musical program. I am an umpire in the Great Falls Little League. When I get my paycheck, I often give ten percent of it to the church. I think that tithing money to the church is a huge part of being a member. When I am a member, I can also vote on church decisions. That is a great privilege and I would love to be able to do so. I always come to church every Sunday and will continue to even after I am confirmed.

When I was in Kindergarten, I had a friend who was not a Christian. Every once in a while, I would bring in things from Sunday School or tell her about Bible stories. At the end of the year, I felt that I had done a pretty good job helping her understand Jesus and the Bible. She had also started to believe a bit in what I was saying to her. I know you’re all thinking “they were just little kids,” but the more people we can share the word of God with, the more we can spread Christianity throughout the world. I feel that not only can I help the church, but that as a member, the church can help me spread the words of the Lord. If I become a member of the church, I can help the whole community further understand our living Lord. These are the things I hope to help the church with as a member.

No comments: