Monday, June 18

Confirmation Statement of JM

Jesus means the world to me. I know that Jesus sacrificed his life for me. I have learned about Jesus since going to Sunday School at Christ the King since I was 4 years old. I am so lucky to have been in a faith-based school since kindergarten, where I have learned more about the Bible and Jesus’ teaching. I know I can count on Jesus to hear my prayers and help me make good decisions.

When I was in kindergarten and my dad died quite suddenly, I know it was Jesus that helped me through such a difficult time. I was so little I didn’t really understand what had happened, but as I grew older, I knew that Jesus was there, helping me through. And Jesus is still helping me, especially when I feel that it is difficult to not have me dad around. Jesus reminds me that faith is always the answer.

The movie “The Passion of the Christ” really had a special meaning to me. I saw how much Jesus suffered but at the same time, how he was able to change the world. While I had certainly read the bible and stories of Jesus, the movie really influenced how much I now appreciate Jesus and his teachings and sacrifice. I know that Jesus lives within me and will continue to influence my life in the most positive way.

I have been taught that God’s grace is: God’s Redemption At Christ’s Expense. I have learned over the last few years that this definition must be expanded to show that God’s grace is unconditional. Grace is given to all of us by God. We are able to know the gift of grace by Jesus’ death and resurrection. A recent Sunday School lesson had meaning to me relating to this question: “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2: 8).

I would have to say that the gift of grace is the best gift I have ever received. My faith has grown and I have a better understanding of God’s grace through the Confirmation Classes, and supported also by lessons at Sunday School. Studying the bible has really helped my faith grow. At school, I learn about many religions, even though there is a focus on Episcopalian. So it is very helpful to have learned the basics of the Lutheran faith at Confirmation classes and Sunday School.

Through our confirmation class, I feel I was very fortunate to have participated in Work Camp last summer in Lancaster, PA. With a team of other Christians, I helped paint the exterior of a home for an elderly man whose wife has Alzheimer’s. The week of camp was an amazing affirmation of my faith. We prayed together at lunch and had wonderful fellowship at the end of the day, singing and telling stories. I could see that so many youth were as positively impacted as I was by this experience.

I wish to affirm my faith in baptism as I am confirmed. I learned in Matthew 28:19-20: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” I know that the gifts and benefits of baptism (as discussed in The Lutheran Handbook, p. 214) include: forgiveness of sins, redemption from death and the devil, and eternal salvation to all who believe it, as the Word and promise of God.” Through the teaching in Confirmation Class, I now realize that baptism is not just a one-time ritual for infants, but rather a lifelong process of being a servant of Christ. By affirming my baptism, I am saying that I accept God in my life and will strive to live a life of faith.

I plan to use my gifts, talents and abilities for the ministry of the church. In High School, I have a community service requirement which I would like to fulfill doing God’s work, hopefully mentoring younger students less fortunate than I am. I really like environmental issues and hope I can be a good steward of God’s earth. I will continue to participate in community service opportunities to pick up trash along the highway. I would hope that my life is an example to other youth. I will be changing schools in the fall to a school without a religious focus. I feel there will be opportunities to discuss my faith and beliefs with other students. By becoming a member of the congregation of Christ the King, I know I will be giving money as well as being aware of service opportunities.

No comments: