Tuesday, March 23

Declaring to All


Sam Siebert

Earlier In chapter 8 of the book of John, Jesus explains how he is the light of the world.  The setting is in the Temple in Jerusalem during the feast of Tabernacles, a cerimony during which great golden lamps were lit.  The Pharisees skeptically question Jesus, based on the tennants of Jewish law.  It is in response to this questioning that Jesus explains that no amount of piety without faith in the son of God will save them from death.  It should not be lost that, in verse 30, John points out that "As he [Jesus] spoke, many believed him".  It is not lost on me that Jesus says in verse 21 that the Pharisees, those Jews most versed in religeous law, will seek Christ but fail to find faith and die, while these others came to believe and were saved.  These nine verses are a suscinct reminder that faith, the most difficult of Christian behaviors to master, not deeds, secures our salvation.

Prayer:  Dear God, strengthen and sustain my faith this day by helping me see your good works each day.  Help me open my heart to the Holy Spirit and allow me to serve you by serving others with grace and compassion.

No comments: