Friday, March 26

Definition


Gail Bobizen

When selecting this passage, I was struck by two key phrases: Terror is all around and the Lord is with me.  As I approach retirement and moving to Missouri, I sense some small degree of what Jeremiah felt.  There are a lot of unknowns in my future.  I'm moving to a small town where I know no one except the former owners of the property.  My brother is 40 miles away.  Uncertainty is all around.  I visited the Lutheran Church I will attend in a town 15 miles away.  It was not the positive experience I so wanted and expected, especially when compared to my wonderful experience here at Christ the King.  God, why did you lead me to Maysville? 

I tried to purchase a property closer to my brother, but the owners changed their mind about selling the home and a few acres.  If this had worked out, I would have been able to worship in the same church as my brother and sister-in-law (there was one problem with that though, they sit on the wrong side of the church).  I prayed for God to lead me where He could use me.  When I made an offer on the Maysville property, I prayed that if this was where God wanted me, that an agreement would be reached.  If not I prayed that God would lead me according to His will.  An offer was accepted.  God, why did you lead me to Maysville?

Amid the doubt and uncertainty, like Jeremiah, I know the Lord is with me.  I don't know why God has lead me to Maysville, but I trust that His plan for me will be revealed according to His time schedule.  We don't need to be besieged by enemies like Jeremiah to feel surrounded by troubles, illness, or fears.  We cannot escape the evils of this world, but Jeremiah also tells us in verse 12, "O Lord of hosts, you test the righteous, you see the heart and the mind."  Let us keep our heart and mind focused on the Lord, trust in Him, and willingly accept His guidance in our life so we like Jeremiah may, "Sing to the Lord; praise the Lord!  For He has delivered the life of the needy."

PRAYER: Heavenly Father,Thank you for Your constant presence in our lives.  When the cares of this world surround us, help us place our trust in You knowing that You will not forsake us.  Your love for us reaches out from the cross.  Let this message be present in our hearts not only during this Lenten season, but always.  This we pray in the name of our risen Lord, Jesus the Christ.   Amen

No comments: